17 Aug 2016
As you may have noticed, we like to give you tips to help you look after your roof. ONEWAY ROOFING stands behind you to ensure that your roof is long lasting and durable for years to come. As a result, we’ve decided that we’d like to do more to protect you and prevent you from spending unnecessary money in the long run.
ONEWAY ROOFING now offers maintenance packages for a reasonable and up front price. Our new services include: gutter cleaning; fastening loose or hanging gutters; fixing or replacing broken tiles; installation of products like copper cat or rodent control boots; pressure washing; sealing your roof and more. We understand that you find maintaining your roof important. Sometimes it’s difficult to find time get it done or maybe you just want to warrant that it gets done correctly and effectively. Performing some of these tasks on your own can be risky. For example, if pressure washing is done incorrectly it could cause water to seep into cracks, leading to moisture build up inside your roof. There are many risks to this process–another one being walking on the roof. This is not only dangerous to yourself but can also cause more unwanted damage to your roof itself.
If you decide that you would like to look into our new services, feel free to give us a call and we’ll get all of your questions answered. Remember that estimates are always free if you need more extensive work done to your roof.
For more Florida roofing related questions, visit our website: www.onewayroof.com or email email@example.com
-Colleen, ONEWAY ROOFING
20 Jun 2016
At ONEWAY ROOFING, our goal is to achieve peace of mind for all of our customers. Part of that mission is helping you understand the steps to maintain your roof. Roof maintenance tips aren’t always just about the simple routine inspections. Here are a couple things to watch out for during the upkeep of your roof.
Roof maintenance is absolutely necessary. By upkeeping your roof, you can prevent major costs down the road. When performing maintenance checks, it is important to make sure that you check for cracked, missing, loose or damaged tiles and shingles. Your gutters should also be cleaned regularly. In Florida we experience a heavy amount of rainfall. As a result, a lot of debris is trapped in this area.
Gutters are a vital part of your roof. If the issue is not assessed, the water can back up and eventually cause mold, mildew and other roof related issues. Since we do experience rainfall all year round, branches and rubbish might fall onto your roof. It is a good idea to just remove any of this to avoid things like unwanted growth and moisture.
Keeping your roof clean is another way to help your roof last longer. Pressure washing is an option but should only be done by a professional and someone who is experienced in the roofing industry. Pressure washing your roof can cause damage and even force water underneath the shingles if the process is not done properly. Some cleaning solutions can also cause damage to the roof and even run off into the grass and kill plant life! Walking on a wet roof can also be very dangerous. Remember, safety always comes first!
-Colleen, ONEWAY ROOFING
For more info on roofing maintenance, visit our website: www.onewayroof.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org
28 Apr 2016
Are you due for a roof replacement but unsure about what questions to ask? We understand that you expect your new roof to be completed at the highest of standards. When you hire a roofer it is essential to ask specific questions to ensure that your new roof is completed to be durable and longlasting. Here are seven necessary questions to ask that will guarantee you have selected the ideal roofing company.
- Are you licensed? – Always be sure that the roofer you are working with has a license that is up to date. Each company should have their license number handy for customers if desired. For example, our license number is CCC1329311. Any other roofing company should have a similar format.
- Do you have workman’s comp insurance? – Workman’s compensation insurance covers the company’s employees. If an employee is hurt on a jobsite this comes into play. Some companies will take their chances with this because of the high prices. It is important to avoid companies that do this. An injured employee can potentially sue a homeowner if they do not have this protection. You can view a copy of our workman’s compensation insurance on our website at the following link: http://onewayroof.com/aboutus/licensed-and-insured/
- Do you have general liability insurance? – General liability insurance covers your property. If there is major accident that causes damage to your home and the company does not have general liability insurance, then you are simply responsible for all damages. ONEWAY ROOFING does carry GL insurance and you can view our certificate at the link above.
- Do you provide a written estimate? Is it important to be given a detailed estimate before signing a contract for your roof. This estimate should include the cost of anything that could arise in the process of removing the original roof and replacing it with the new one. At ONEWAY, each customer is given a FREE written estimate that includes the details and total price for their new roof.
- Will you remove my old roof? – Without the removal of the old roofing materials, the condition underneath is left unknown. By overlaying an old roof with new roofing materials, this serves as a temporary fix and can be cheaper. However, this can be detrimental later on. The plywood underneath could potentially contain moisture. Over time this moisture leads to excess mold and even termites that can destroy the entire structure of your roof. For these reasons, we always remove old materials before putting on a new roof.
- What will you do in the case of inclimate weather during a job? – Especially in a place like Florida where it rains a lot, we have to make sure that we are extra aware. It is crucial that moisture stays away while your roof is in the process of being replaced. If it does happen to rain, our roofers use tarps to cover any and all exposed sections of the roof.
- What is the cost of plywood? – You may have noticed that moisture is a main issue, especially in Florida. If pieces of plywood are rotten, the company should replace them and ensure that you have a sound decking before moving forward in the process. If we find rotten or moldy pieces of plywood, we remove and replace up to 5 sheets and any additional are $75 per sheet. This includes labor costs, material fees, waste fees, and tearing off fees.
New Shingle roof – Can you save money on your new roof with a layover?
Often, when we are performing a shingle reroof for our customers, we find a second layer of shingles beneath the top layer. Many of our customers in the West Palm Beach area ask if it makes sense to just lay a new layer of asphalt shingles over the existing layer to save some money. Our answer is always “No”, and here’s why:
-When you reroof a shingle roof or tile roof, you remove all the material down to the plywood, as code updates have occurred over the years, and it’s important to update the nailing schedule on the plywood decking. Aside from better resistance to wind pressures during a hurricane, updated nailing patterns on the decking are an important factor in Homeowner’s Insurance rate calculations.
– If you leave the old shingles, you are leaving behind all of the rotted or damaged wood underneath that should be replaced.
-When nailing new shingles over old, nail penetration issues are common. With the extra layer of material, nails may not penetrate in to the plywood as far as needed. Conversely, because shingles are softer than plywood, the “cushion” created by the first layer of shingles can allow nails to be “overdriven” into the new shingles. When nails are overdriven in the new shingle, they tear and are more likely to go airborne under strong winds.
– Moisture trapped between the new shingle layer the old can speed the degradation of the new shingles on your new roof. Moisture and heat are enemies of asphalt shingles. The second layer of shingles increases heat and moisture retention, essentially baking off your new roof faster.
Roof Repair Advice
In our opinion, the money saved by not removing the old shingle layer is lost over time by the increased frequency with which you must replace your roof. Plus, you cannot overlay asphalt shingles a third time, so the next time you reroof, you will have to tear off, and a roofing contractor will charge for the extra layer of tear off.
If you have an aging shingle roof and are considering replacing your roof with new shingles, don’t consider laying over the existing roof.