7 Questions to Ask Your Roofer
Are you due for a roof replacement but unsure about what questions to ask? We understand that you expect your new roof to be completed at the highest of standards. When you hire a roofer it is essential to ask specific questions to ensure that your new roof is completed to be durable and longlasting. Here are seven necessary questions to ask that will guarantee you have selected the ideal roofing company.
- Are you licensed? – Always be sure that the roofer you are working with has a license that is up to date. Each company should have their license number handy for customers if desired. For example, our license number is CCC1329311. Any other roofing company should have a similar format.
- Do you have workman’s comp insurance? – Workman’s compensation insurance covers the company’s employees. If an employee is hurt on a jobsite this comes into play. Some companies will take their chances with this because of the high prices. It is important to avoid companies that do this. An injured employee can potentially sue a homeowner if they do not have this protection. You can view a copy of our workman’s compensation insurance on our website at the following link: http://onewayroof.com/aboutus/licensed-and-insured/
- Do you have general liability insurance? – General liability insurance covers your property. If there is major accident that causes damage to your home and the company does not have general liability insurance, then you are simply responsible for all damages. ONEWAY ROOFING does carry GL insurance and you can view our certificate at the link above.
- Do you provide a written estimate? Is it important to be given a detailed estimate before signing a contract for your roof. This estimate should include the cost of anything that could arise in the process of removing the original roof and replacing it with the new one. At ONEWAY, each customer is given a FREE written estimate that includes the details and total price for their new roof.
- Will you remove my old roof? – Without the removal of the old roofing materials, the condition underneath is left unknown. By overlaying an old roof with new roofing materials, this serves as a temporary fix and can be cheaper. However, this can be detrimental later on. The plywood underneath could potentially contain moisture. Over time this moisture leads to excess mold and even termites that can destroy the entire structure of your roof. For these reasons, we always remove old materials before putting on a new roof.
- What will you do in the case of inclimate weather during a job? – Especially in a place like Florida where it rains a lot, we have to make sure that we are extra aware. It is crucial that moisture stays away while your roof is in the process of being replaced. If it does happen to rain, our roofers use tarps to cover any and all exposed sections of the roof.
- What is the cost of plywood? – You may have noticed that moisture is a main issue, especially in Florida. If pieces of plywood are rotten, the company should replace them and ensure that you have a sound decking before moving forward in the process. If we find rotten or moldy pieces of plywood, we remove and replace up to 5 sheets and any additional are $75 per sheet. This includes labor costs, material fees, waste fees, and tearing off fees.